Expectations, Expectations...

04:42


Hi,

Been a minute, Lol!

Somehow you would have to forgive my disappearing acts, but then I have discovered than I am not one to just wake and churn out crappy stuff. I actually enjoy making sense. I missed you guys, who missed me? I am grateful for everyone that keeps messaging me to ask for my next post. You are my true inspiration.

I’ll be talking about expectations today. Over the past few weeks, I have been privileged to be in some amazing gatherings. Some I want to tell you about but then I know I might not fully pass the message the way I heard it. Which will be sad, but trust me I will try.

Why do we expect soooooo much from everything around us??

The world is guided by people that feel so arrogantly entitled to getting things when they want it. Life is a gift to mankind but humans are cocky to the point where we sleep at night and automatically expect we will wake up the next morning. Without even stopping to think about the mechanics behind it or who/what makes it happen.

Research has shown that the rate of depression and suicide has increased by 50% over the past 5 years alone. This stat puts a hamper on my mood because after thinking it through I realized the foundation problem is “Expectations”. Why are your expectations so high? Why do you intentionally mount pressure on people?

The society expects the world of you, so much so that you push yourself till you break into tiny pieces. Every parent expects their child to go to school, get good grades, then get a good job, get married and stay responsible. As a child, you expect your parents to always be there for you attending to your every whim, pay your bills till you can take care of yourself and just generally set a great example for you.
Now the problem is nothing ever goes as planned. Then we start to feel disappointed, which turns into resentment because expectations are premeditated resentments. Does it now make sense why the rate of depression is so high?

So many friendships, relationships and marriages fail because individuals fail to realize no two persons are the exact same. Stop expecting your friend to like the same music you like, stop arguing with your boyfriend/girlfriend because they don’t see things the way you do. If 6 is written on a sheet, one person will see it as 6 while another will see it as 9. No one is wrong, they just see it from different points.

When we realize we are not all the same, we have the power to conquer two things; - Competition & Comparison.

The choice is yours, do you want to continue living life hoping that people live up to your expectation of them? Or would you rather love life by expecting nothing and appreciating people when they do things? My take would be that you give people the chance of being themselves around you, because…

 Peace begins when expectation ends…


You Might Also Like

5 comments

Instagram

@iamtherere

Subscribe