2018 & Peer Pressure

08:05


Happy New Year!

Lol, I am a joker right? It’s almost the end of the first month and I decided to crawl out of my hole to write something. Consistency has got to be one of the hardest things to attain in life… wow… How do you guys that gym do it? This year, I will not apologize on this particular post for staying away for so long. Why? Well because I am scared it might become a situation of me apologizing on every post. Rest assured though that this year I am going to do big things here and share them with you guys.

Later in the year by God’s grace I will be organizing a mini-conference for young entrepreneurs who have a startup and other young people who aspire to be entrepreneurs. It will be sort of like an empowerment/mentorship program for all of us to grow and become better people.

So, today I would like to talk about Peer Pressure.

Peer pressure comes as a result of intimidation by what you see others do or out of curiosity, and the desire to fit in among your peers. But I noticed that the moment you type in peer pressure on Google. Most related topics only address peer pressure as something that affects only youths and teenagers.

I don’t have a problem with that, but I personally have discovered overtime that peer pressure is common to every age and gender, it is just as much in older people as younger ones. Many of us give in to pressure because we want to belong, to be liked, to fit in, everybody is doing it, we worry other people may wonder why “your own is different.” But never forget that no matter the reason you are pressured into acting contrary to your better judgment, or common sense, you can walk away and not let other people dictate how your life goes.

What we forget is, sometimes the people you associate with or call friends may determine how far you go in life. So why not keep things clear with yourself by choosing wisely the people you associate with, they should be people with integrity and wisdom. Don’t just do things because every other person is doing it or every other person will talk if you don’t do it.  

As a country, Nigerians have that problem in common because we are aspirational beings. We want the exact thing we saw one woman in church wearing, or we want to vote for the same person Banky-W will vote for. I think it is time to start making independent decisions that will make “me” as a person happy and fulfilled.

Leave the next person to live their life that way it pleases them, not only will it help your personal growth but also our country’s progress. 

Until the next post…
iamtherere

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

@iamtherere

Subscribe