25 Under 25 - Let Your Story Inspire

11:40

I have always had a keen interest in making money, I think this stems from having entrepreneurial parents. I still remember the first thing I made to sell. It was a silver basket of handmade roses; they were peach. I reckon they looked great even though I didn't sell them. In the past I have sold knitted bags and purses, make up, greeting cards & even run a laundry service, TWICE.  I also tried starting a car wash with my siblings once.

My name is Ibukun Awosika and I am many things. I run my Fashion business named - Fiber Rose - and I also work as a Devops Engineer.

The thirst and zest I had for success led to my discovering Fashion. I can almost say it was not something I liked at the start but as time went on I began to love it even more. Besides my dad's mum was actually a fashion designer even though I never met her. So maybe it's also in my genes...

Weirdly, becoming a Devops Engineer was something I always wanted. Electronics were my passion as a kid. The moment I discovered MIT, it became a dream for me to go there. I was always the one who fixes things; TVs, DVDs, my grandparents would always call me if something went wrong and I wouldn't mind sitting with it till I found a solution. I went on to study Computer Science in Covenant University and it was then I discovered my love for programming. I doubt I'll go to MIT eventually but I can say I'm living my childhood dreams.

PS - I would have gone to art class and become a lawyer if my parents didn't intervene.

Hmm. What is special about what I do? I think it's just me! Lol.
I love being able to live the best of both worlds. Tech and Fashion are two spaces you hardly find a person dabbling in at the same time. Yet I love that there are no limitations for me. I love that I'm a designer of clothes but I can also design software.
You know there's this thing I've come to love where my client quietly whispers in my ears "I'm pregnant". Clearly trying to hide it from the world but it is important that I do because they need the right outfits for the time. It makes me feel like I'm more than just a tailor, I'm woven into the fabric of their lives in a way that not many people are. It is an intimate relationship.

And as for being a Devops Engineer, I love that girls are even more in the Tech space even though it wasn't always so. if you have watched Hidden Figures you'll see that it's a privilege to be doing what I do because some women fought for this space and now that I live and breathe that space; it's a thing to be grateful for.
Sometimes I walk into a room and people don’t realize I am not a business analyst or a quality assurance analyst, I'm a developer. I always look for the shock in most people's faces because I show up in heels and a banging dress so they don't expect me to be a developer. But we live in a world where, once you dream it nothing is impossible to achieve.

We live in a place where something’s are considered a man’s job. The toughest thing for me about being a Developer is that things become routine. And I constantly need to find something to explore. This wasn't too much of a challenge when I worked as a Software Developer but I changed teams a while back and that has been my biggest challenge. Also as a Devops Engineer I constantly need to communicate with other Devs which doesn't always cut it for me. I love my personal space you see and I'd rather work without having to talk to anyone but hey, they put money in my bank account at the end for the month so we move!

As a designer I would say my biggest challenge is finding reliable staff. Because I'm not available all the time there's a limit to what I can control but I make do with what I have and find the best way to make it work.

What challenges do you face combining both jobs…?
Honestly I wouldn't say most of my challenges stem from being a girl.  I think it's more about being an entrepreneur working a 9 - 5. It's usually a very difficult thing to combine which is why I always tell people get a solid support system. Be in staff friends or family. You need people who can cover up for you when you're not available.

What do you hope to achieve with what you do?
I have discovered that my passion is not really in what I do per say. It is in how I do it. I love Fashion and I love tech but what I love the most is inspiring people to be the best they can. This passion of wanting to touch lives has actually spurred me to run an annual event called Budding Wings. At this event young people are inspired by different speakers and also I recently started my YouTube channel to reach even more people. Ultimately I hope to change people's lives by living mine and inspiring them to live theirs too.

What are your 3 motivations in life?
My three motivations are People, Passion and Purpose. I love to see people excel and whenever I can I do my bit to contribute. And if you know me, I chase Passion. If my hand finds something I love I do it with everything I can. I don't really think much about things, I follow my heart and I often find beautiful things at the end of the road. Purpose, being the reason why God put me here on earth. I do not take the place of God lightly, I believe in living in purpose because it is only then you can be truly fulfilled.

My final word to anyone reading this is that you are not made to be molded and kept shape, you're a shape shifter. So it is okay to be different things or be many things as long as you discover yourself with each thing you do. It is also okay to fall deeply in love with a thing and pursue it.

You'll find life in doing the things you truly love. You'll find you in chasing passion. In the Bible, David was a Shepherd, Musician, Warrior & King. I believe it was these different versions of him that made him able to see life and experience God in the most beautiful lights and inspired him to write such beautiful psalms.

So remember you can be anything you dream;

Simply Channel Your Inner Midas And Create Gold.

---
If you have a story to share with the world, a story that will inspire others to pursue greatness. Please send it to adetimehinr@yahoo.com.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

@iamtherere

Subscribe