Think Big, Start Small

10:52

A friend of mine said; “Rere, you’ve started blogging again. Nawa oh! You bloggers just write essay when no lecturer has asked you to”.  I laughed because of the truth in what she said but then I gently reminded myself of the future ahead of me.

Many people have said there’s nothing to achieve here. How will you even make money? Why are you wasting your time on trivialities? One thing we always forget is hurrying doesn’t help anybody, we are always in such a hurry to “blow” that we miss the beauty beneath the cracks. But with each passing day, while pursuing my dreams on one hand and praying about it on the other I am rest assured that the best part is yet to come.

A few days ago I was feeling unmotivated, and someone sent me this story. It helped me to realize that while I was busy moping about how slow things are going in my life, someone out there was patient and determined enough to realise her dreams and surpass it even when it seemed impossible. I hope this story does something good for you.
As the 5th child of 5, I always had to wait for my turn. I was the last, a girl child raised by a mother who is farmer and a father who has little, I hawked pepper on the streets of Ibadan as early as age 10 to help my mum. I went to public primary and secondary school in Ibadan. Attended OOU and studied Physics. Because I had a 2.1, it opened the door for me to proceed to Finland for a Masters Degree in Biomedical Engineering (an opportunity I struggled to get). 

During this masters degree, I worked part-time as a cleaner and did this after my Masters as well. Out of determination, I applied to over 100 schools for my PhD and finally got a full 3 year scholarship (later extended to 4 years scholarship) at University of Saskatchewan, Canada to pursue a PhD in Biomedical Engineering. While in that PhD program, I worked part-time as a makeup artist, teaching assistant, braided hair and fix weaves to make extra money.

Today I walked the stage as the first black person to bag a PhD in Biomedical Engineering from University of Saskatchewan, Canada! I walked this stage for you Mama Africa and for my Motherland Nigeria! I walked the stage for all of you black women disrespected and looked down on! I walked for all of you from my ghetto hood “Mokola”, Ibadan. I walked for all OSU students and ex-students that got that look from people who think we are not brilliant! I walked for all of you Africans in Finland wondering what is next for you!!

Today I walked for my future husband and my unborn children who patiently waited for me to fulfil my dreams so that he can have a wife he will be proud of and they can have a role model to look up to. I walked for all youths who strive every day to make their dreams come true. I walked in celebration of the unfailing love of my first and one truly true love Jesus Christ (in you I walk in you I live and in you I have had and will continue to have my being).

My advice to everyone reading this is - Be bold, be innovative, be different, be you, be everything you want to be but remember to put God first. Let no man, upbringing, money, circumstance, color, past mistakes, institution, company, partner, background, let nothing tell you “you can’t do it”.

Go smart! Go hard! Go for Gold! Go with God! Just Get Going!

Slow down, Calm down
Don’t worry, Don’t hurry
Trust the process, Trust God.



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Woow. Inspiring story. Slow down, Calm down
    Don’t worry, Don’t hurry
    Trust the process, Trust God.
    Quote for the second half of my year. It's never about how fast but about how well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit! Thank you for commenting. ❤️

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

@iamtherere

Subscribe